Glossary of Terms
- diabetes mellitus – a condition in which the body either cannot produce insulin or cannot effectively use the insulin it produces and thus cannot regulate glucose in the body.
- glucose – sugar.
- hyperglycemia – an excess of glucose in the blood. Accompanying clinical signs can include excessive drinking and urination and increased appetite.
- hypoglycemia – an abnormally low level of glucose in the blood. Accompanying clinical signs can include muscle weakness, lethargy, recumbency, seizures and coma.
- insulin – a hormone produced by the beta cells of the pancreas. It helps to regulate the amount of glucose (sugar) in the blood.
- ketones – a compound containing the carbonyl group (CO) doubly united with carbon.